Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Apple Pie

So last night I spent the night at a friend's house and her dad decided he was going to teach us how to make an apple pie. We got out the cook books and gathered the ingredients and started to measure away. After mixing the ingredients into dough, we put it in the refrigeration to harden.



This is when we started the filling of the pie. we gathered out potato peelers and were ready to peel the skin off the apples. This was unacceptable, by her father's terms. He grabbed knives and gave us an in depth lesson on how to peel apples with knives. I was quite horrified of this. I am so clumsy and I knew this would end in disaster. But I found a hidden talent I didn't know I had, I am really good at peeling apples with knives. I cut it all in one long strand and didn't cut my finger off. I became the official apple peeler.

After cutting the apples into small slices and weighing them, I added the flour, cinnamon, an other ingredients. Once we finished the filling, we wen back to the pie crust. I took out the dough and split it in half. Half for the crust, half for the top of the pie. I learned the fine art of rolling out dough and putting it into the pie pan. I poured the apples into the dough covered pan and then rolled out the other half of the dough. Once accomplishing all of this, we made the side of the pie "pretty" - it wasn't really that pretty- and put our masterpiece into the oven.


It doesn't look like much, but I promise it was delicious!


Only after cleaning up did Miranda's father realize the pie wan't for everyone to eat, but a gift for another friend. I felt so bad that at 9 o'clock at night, after the first pie finishing, I decided I would make her father a pie to thank him for taking his time to teach us how to make apple pie and show him all that I had learned. I did the process over again, though we were out of lard and had to use vegetable shortening. Because of this the dough as really gooey and wouldn't harden.I ended up adding flour to try to make it less sticky. It didn't really help. after rolling it out and putting it on the pan, there were many rips. I decided it would still taste like pie, regardless of my poor patching job that I did with the crust. Finally, around midnight, it as done baking. We let it cool and then dug in. I think it was a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment