Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Taste of Italy

My dear friend's mom took it upon herself to teach me how to cook Italian food today. How sweet! And while we were getting ingredients at the store, she found a $100 bill on the ground in the parking lot. Karma is a wonderful thing. On the menu for today was Lasagna and Pizzelle cookies. 


To start off, we sauteed the sausage. I then proceeded to cut the zucchini and carrots. On the stove I also boiled a couple eggs. While cooking, Deborah told me about Italian culture and how import cooking was. It was quite interesting. After getting all the ingredients ready, we started the layers for the lasagna. We did not cook the pasta in advance, it was going to cook while it was in the oven. Keeping this in mind, I put tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan so the moisture would cook the lasagna. In the pan we used, the lasagna strips were too long, so breaking them at the perfect length was the most difficult. After carefully layering all the ingredients in the pan, we popped it in the oven.


Pizzelle Cookies were actually quite easy to make. You just beat eggs, sugar, flour, anise, and vanilla together. Then comes the more challenging part. You put a tiny dollop of dough in the Pizzelle maker and hold it down for 30 seconds. After, you sift powdered sugar on them and you have yourself a delicious treat! But actually getting a perfect shape was difficult to achieve. Most of the time I would put too much in the maker and it would go out of the mold. They were a little deformed but scrumptious all the same.


I want to give a special thank you to Deborah for being absolutely wonderful and taking her afternoon to teach me how to cook some Italian cuisine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment